THE APPLICANT IS REQUESTED TO READ THESE NOTES BEFORE HE/SHE STARTS TO COMPLETE THE FORM. YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE CURRENT DVLA DRIVING LICENCE, CRB CERTIFICATE, BOOKING RECORDS AND, IF MAKING PAYMENT ONLINE, YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD.
APPLICATION FOR (RENEWAL OF) A PRIVATE HIRE OPERATOR LICENCE
1. It is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in application for a Private Hire Operator’s Licence.
2. The completed application form should be returned to the Licensing Office at Bedford Borough Council, 3rd Floor Borough Hall, Bedford MK42 9AP with the appropriate fee and a passport sized photograph of each applicant taken within the last month. You should note that the application form must be signed by each applicant. Each applicant’s consent is sought to undertake a DVLA check as part of the application process and in support of this each person must provide their current DVLA driving licence ID card and counterpart. The Licensing Office may request subsequent information in support of the application and reserves the right in doing so.
3. NOTE: AN APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY THE DOCUMENTS AND FEE(S) LISTED BELOW. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING REJECTED AND RETURNED TO YOU
a) Completed Basic Criminal Records Bureau Scotland (CRB Scotland) certificate.
b) Valid DVLA Driving Licence showing your current address. The address shown on your DVLA Licence must be the same as that stated on your application form. If presenting a photo card licence, then you must provide both the ID card and the counterpart.
c) Provide comments from the Borough Planner or appropriate planning number/reference.
d) Appropriate licence fee (see paragraph 4)
e) A passport sized photograph taken within the last month showing the applicant's face (full front)
a) Existing Operators will be required to provide a basic CRB every 3 years. Please contact the Licensing Office to enquire if this applies to you.
c) Appropriate licence fee (see paragraph 4)
d) Booking records for the last month. These should be submitted together with any codes used for vehicles and drivers.
4. Licence fees:
New Licence: £1947.00 for 5 years from date of issue;
or £390.00 for 1 year from date of issue
Renewal: £1575.00 for 5 years from date of issue;
or £316.00 for 1 year from date of issue
This fee may be remitted if the applicant has obtained Quality Assurance Certification for the applicant’s Private Hire Business.
Change of trading address: £113.00
Change of Name: £27.50
5. As of April 1st 2006, new Private Hire Operator applicants are required to submit a basic Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) certificate with their application form (if this certificate is not included then the application will be rejected). Basic CRB checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland. For further details call their Helpline number 0870 609 6006 (Monday to Friday – 8.00am to 6.00pm). Alternatively, go to their website: www.disclosurescotland.co.uk. All existing Operators will be required to provide a basic CRB certificate every 3 years.
6. Applicants should note that public notice of new applications for grant of Private Hire Operators Licences are given in a local newspaper circulated in the Borough of Bedford. The notice will state the applicants name, company name and trading address. The period of the public notice shall be no more than 21 days and will invite representations on the application.
7. All applications for renewal should be submitted 42 days prior to the expiry of the existing licence. If an application for renewal is received after the existing licence expires it will be treated as a new application and not as a renewal.
8. The Council aims to process applications for Private Hire Operator's Licences within 42 days and renewals within 14 days if a CRB check is not required and all requested information is provided. If the application form is incomplete, or there is a need to refer the application to the General Licensing Sub Committee, it may take longer to process. The Licensing Service may request subsequent information in support of the application and reserves the right in doing so.
9. All new applicants for a Private Hire Operator’s Licence are required to be interviewed by the Council’s General Licensing Sub Committee. Meetings are held usually once every three weeks.
If your application is referred to the General Licensing Sub Committee, you will be advised of the date of the hearing and you are encouraged to attend and present your application in person. You may also be legally represented at the hearing.
10. Any applicant refused an Operator Licence has a right of appeal to a Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of the decision.
11. Returning the form and accompanying documents
This form must be completed and returned to:
The Licensing Service
Registration and Records Unit
Bedford Borough Council
12. (a) DATA PROTECTION
Personal information provided in an application form and during the period of any subsequent Licence is normally held for a period of five years from the expiry of the last consecutive Licence held. It will be used primarily for the purpose of the licensing function concerned although it may also be used for data matching purposes across various licensing functions. Certain personal data will be available on the licensing pages of the Council’s internet. Personal information held for licensing purposes will be held and used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. To assist the Council in the prevention and detection of fraud so that it can protect the public funds it administers the Council may use information provided for licensing purposes within this Authority for data matching purposes. It may also data match information provided for licensing purposes with other public bodies that regulate, administer or are in receipt of public funds for the purposes of the prevention and detection of fraud.
(b) FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
Information held by the Council may need to be disclosed in response to a request for it within the terms of the Freedom of the Information Act 2005. This information excludes that which is in any other way already in the public domain.
13. The granting of the Licence for use of the premises stated in the application does not absolve you from obtaining any other necessary consents or permissions (e.g. Planning Permission or Landlord’s consent) either from this or any other authority or person.
14. You may only carry on the business of Private Hire Operator from the premises authorised in your licence.
15. Licensed operators must keep a record containing the names and addresses of proprietors, registration numbers and licence numbers of all vehicles operated.
16. Licensed operators must keep a record of all bookings, showing the points of commencement and termination of each journey, the charge made, the person accepting the booking, the vehicle used and the name of the driver. A sample of the booking records as requested by the Licensing Office must be provided with applications for renewal of an Operator's Licence. The same will apply if there has been a lapse in the Licence period before a new Licence is applied for. Any bookings accepted without the benefit of an Operator's Licence constitutes an offence.
17. Private Hire Operators are prohibited from using in the name or description of their firm or in the description of the service supplied in the course of the business the words “Taxi”, “Cab” or “Taxi-Cab” or any other words which, when pronounced, would sound similar to such works or which might lead any person to believe the operator is providing a Hackney Carriage service.
18. Your attention is drawn to the provisions made under Section 46(1)(e) and (2) of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 which state;
(1) (e) No person licensed under the said Section 55 shall in a controlled district operate any vehicle as a private hire vehicle -
(i) If for the vehicle a current licence under the said Section 48 is not in force; or
(ii) If the driver does not have a current licence under the said Section 51
(2) If any person knowingly contravenes the provision of this Section he shall be guilty of an offence.
In order to obtain the vehicle and driver licences referred to above, applications for those licences will need to be made. Guidance on these applications, the Authority’s policies on such applications and the processing arrangements is available from the Licensing Office upon request.
Vehicles to be licensed for Private Hire must satisfy the Council’s standard of fitness, details of which are contained in a separate set of explanatory notes a copy of which is available from the Licensing Office on request. Operators should note that the Council will not normally grant Private Hire Vehicle Licences for London Style Cabs. Anyone wishing to obtain a Private Hire Vehicle Licence for such vehicles is strongly advised to consult with the Council prior to purchasing the vehicles.
Bedford Borough Council
Tel. 01234 276948
Fax 01234 718392